Friday, November 6, 2015

Sometimes it Takes Courage to Kneel

I have had the impulse multiple times to write my thoughts on this subject but because I view this to be so personal I have chosen not to.  The problem is that I am seeing so many dear associates of mine who are struggling to understand current standings within our church that I feel I have to say something.

To question is human nature.  Whether you are of the same denomination or not we all question what our thoughts are in different aspects of life.  Why do we do this? Because it’s part of growth.  Even as a child “why” is a word that comes as an automatic question to come out of little ones.  We need to know why so we can understand how things work.  This can be a challenge when it involves others (whom we love) and their personal beliefs.  We don’t want them to pull away from us because we love them. 

I have often heard through my life that as members of the Mormon (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) faith that we are blind followers.  We are told what to do and we do it.  To say that that is not true would be a lie.  I do think that there are some who don’t really know where they stand on certain topics within the church but they have to hold on to the little thread of faith that they have in knowing what the church brings to their lives.  I have to admit that there have been times in which I have done this because faith is a process in which knowledge comes.

I have questioned many things within the church that I belong, and at times I have found that I had to lean on my husband’s testimony to get me through.  Mine just wasn’t strong enough to weather the storm of hatred.  But what I found, is that, for me, questioning was personal. 

You see, I needed to know for myself what was right.  So many opinions are like the game of telephone; by the end you are left with nothing but a mess.  So how does one get answers then?  Oh you can look to opposing articles if that’s what you’re looking for; or you could look to those who align with your beliefs for support and that might work for you.  What it comes down to, is that you will find what you are looking for… but what if the answer isn’t something you’re looking for?  For me I had to have the courage to kneel.  I had to be humble enough to get on my knees at a time in which I wasn’t even sure that there was a God and ask.  I had to take that seemingly simple step to go to my Father in Heaven.  But what if I didn’t get an answer?  What if I didn’t like the answer that I was given?  These were daunting and scary ideas, but isn’t that what faith is… work on things unseen?  If I didn’t get an answer right away I kept praying. 


This might seem so innocent minded or simple that it could never work.  But I can promise you it can and does.  Just like I am waiting for my kids to come to me so I can help them, so is your loving Heavenly Father waiting for you.  I know this to be true.  So why don’t you give it a try?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Missy thank you for sharing this.

Sarey1127 said...

Very well put. Thank you!

Sarey1127 said...

Very well put. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. I can admit that I have been afraid to approach the Lord because I was afraid what the answer might be. In one such instance, about a year and a half ago, I had to kneel in fervent prayer and pray to be willing to accept whatever the answer would be. I prayed fervently to become willing. I ended up having to also pray the next morning fervently before I became willing and was ready to do whatever the answer was. Then, and only then, could I go to the Lord in good conscious and pray to know the answer. The answer came and I was willing to accept. However, I know with certainty, I would not have been wiling to accept, nor receive, prior to my struggle with the Lord to be willing.
Thank you for sharing such personal feelings. The sharing of personal experience is when true testimony and example begin to make a difference in other's lives.