Tuesday, December 9, 2014

"LIBBY DO IT!!"... well kind of:)

A switch has been flipped in our home lately that has allowed me to reflect on something.  Liberty has decided that her new motto is, “Libby do it!”  She is insistent on doing EVERYTHING herself.  I find myself smiling in these moments as I sit back and watch her struggle to do something (and sometimes I know that there is no way she will be able to accomplish various tasks she wants to) but I want her to try. I know she will feel so good once she has completed her mission.   The part I find interesting is that for the older kids it has been very hard for them to not jump in and rescue her in doing something wrong.  This inference sends Liberty in a tailspin of sorts because she soooo badly wants to do it.
The other day she was determined to get her pajamas on.  As she struggled in getting the shorts on and then the shirt the other kids could not control the urge to lend a helping hand which made the process longer because she was so protective of her independence.  When she felt that she had finally done it she stood proud that she was dressed!  Then it set in slowly that what she had done wasn't so comfortable.  Her arm was stuck uncomfortably out the same opening as her neck hole… confused she struggled to figure out how to fix this.  This is when it became extremely difficult for the on-looking children.  If they could just pull her arm out for her and show her the right arm-hole this would all be over… but that wasn't going to happen because, “Libby do it!”

Embarrassment and fear that one of the kids would laugh or take over sent her into the other room to allow her the time she needed to sort this out.  She was in there for some time and wasn't getting any closer.  A bit of a meltdown was coming but she wasn't ready for help yet.  She continued to walk into the kitchen as she struggled in her efforts.  I watched as her older sister followed her, quietly telling her she was doing a good job.  As Liberty heard this she slowly started to soften and her older sister started telling her where her arm needed to be.  Slowly Liberty allowed her to help her get her arm in the right place.  Success!!... Well kind of… everything was on backwards but she was happy!
It made me think of our own struggles that we have in life.  We have a loving Father in Heaven who is waiting to help but far too often we are insistent that we can do it!  He is quietly encouraging us as we go trying to allow us to see the right course to take.  If we would rely on Him right from the very beginning it would be so much easier but we are so determined to be independent in all we do; so we learn, over and over again the hard way.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe in these struggles because it is through our struggles that our hearts will soften and allow us to lean on Him.  Our learning curve might be rough but the reality that our Father in Heaven is smiling with encouragement and love is real.  He just needs us to be ready and willing to let him in so He can help us.
I am so grateful to have a loving Father in Heaven that I feel in my heart on a daily basis. Some days I feel it stronger than others; it all depends on me and where my heart is.

1 comment:

Sarey1127 said...

Made me cry! Hope you don't mind me sharing this!